The Prodigal Altar Boy

Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Long Road Home - THE PRODIGAL ALTAR BOY BLOG



THE PRODIGAL ALTAR BOY BLOG
180-DAY COUNTDOWN
T-minus 175 DAYS AND COUNTING

The Long Road Home

We made an early trip from Norfolk this morning.  Driving the same roads establish a rhythm.  The rhythm today was off.  I’ will show my age when I compare this “off rhythm” akin to a vinyl record is playing off speed or (dating myself even further) a 45 is off center.  The music is somewhat familiar, the lyrics are there, but something just off.

Driving the interstate early in the morning gave me a chance to reflect on every trip I have made to Tidewater to shoot footage for the documentary. Reliving those shoots, remembering TQ’s irreverence, backed by deep theological scholarship, reinforced how blessed I am to have ever met a TQ. 

I met a woman, Maureen, at the funeral.  She told me she thought the picture of TQ visiting a sick person that accompanied his obituary, was her favorite because it captured the essence of TQ.  She talked about how TQ visited people in the hospital or in nursing homes, and if they did not get flowers, he would bring flowers.  In an early interview, TQ stated one of his early mentors told him, “If you’re not serving the poor and the sick, if the phone isn’t ringing off the hook, then you might as well close the parish.”

Maureen also shared a running bet among her friends about what would happen when TQ got to heaven.  The wagers were split between the Blessed Mary greeting TQ when he got there, Jesus revealing to TQ which Apostle He loved the most, and a third I cannot recall right now.  Anybody that inspires that kind of afterlife speculation is a gift from God. 


 Coming soon:  scans of the program from TQ's celebration of life