The Prodigal Altar Boy

Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Prodigal Altar Boy Blog Presents - “Worship Musician” vs. “Worship Leader”

“Worship Musician” vs. “Worship Leader”

“Worship Musician” vs. “Worship Leader,” gets at what we call ourselves.


“Worship musician” evokes myriad images/meanings to the general public alone, and when it comes to the people actually out there “on the platform,” the granularity increases.  When someone uses that descriptor, its use alone (among other worship musicians) may answer many questions, or reinforce assumptions held.  Proficiency, commitment, authenticity, etc., are a few of myriad variables plugged into the calculus musicians run in their heads when they run into another musician, so we acknowledge it’s part of the equation, but a small part of a large equation.


A Large Equation - A large equation that doesn’t concern you

 God gave you your gifts to worship.  You know this, and that is what matters. It bears repeating:  You have everything you need to do right now.  That is the main thing.  Do not give in the mindset of lack.  You have what it takes and God is glorified.  Share your gifts and share them freely.  Be brave enough to try new things, brave enough to be open to new ways of thinking about things.  Begin to acknowledge and use the power that comes from making the difficult moves forward and how that boldness inspires others.  Just as we have no idea what the people we play for on Sunday have gone through during the week, we have no idea what inspiration your team members are looking for.  Be the flame.


“Worship Musician” and “Worship Leader,” interchangeable, right?

So, if we don’t care what people think when we way “worship musician,” then “worship musician” and “worship leader” are interchangeable, correct?  To my mind, the short TI used to”), while on the other, I have to pay attention to what baggage I bring to the term “worship musician.”  Do I use that term as an excuse to put less effort into preparation, or let unfair comparisons between recorded versions of songs and how I play paralyze me?  If the answer to any of that is, “yes,” then then there is no way “worship musician” and “worship leader” can be interchangeable.

Also to consider is whether I use “worship musician” as a way to limit my commitment to my craft?  Do I use that term to set limiting boundaries, in terms of how I view my gifts and their potential to do God’s work?  The answer is realizing God did not give you these gifts to play small.  The old saw in the acting game is, “There are no small roles, only small actors.”  That said, then is “worship musician” limiting my role in the worship?  Is my worldview of myself as a gifted child of God, what I say about myself, what I think about myself, what I pray for myself, flawed by too myopic a view?
 
Boldness Inspires Others

If you are connected to who you are and your gifts, then the actions you take, guided by the Holy Spirit, can inspire others to step up and explore their gifts.  Taking action, doing what needs to be done, whether, putting in the time to make sure the music goes smoothly, to helping with setup and breakdown, impart a sense of boldness.  When you realize that in order for you to be an inspiration, what people see “on the platform” must align with what people see the other six days of the week, you know there’s more going on than music.  Living a life of worship is a commitment to getting out of your own way and bringing people into the presence of God.  All of that is leadership, so from here on out, I’m a “Worship Leader.”