The Prodigal Altar Boy

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Postcards from TQ - THE PRODIGAL ALTAR BOY BLOG



THE PRODIGAL ALTAR BOY BLOG
180-DAY COUNTDOWN
T-Minus 167 DAYS AND COUNTING

Karen Everett Inner Circle Work:
  • Elevator pitch work
  • Mission statement work

Music Practice:
  • Stratocaster warm up
  • Inversion Excursion
  • “Dies Irae” – Verdi
  • “So What” – Miles Davis
  • E – B/D# - C#min – A work
  • R&B inversion work

Body Work:
Active rest

Postcards from TQ
I went to mass at the Basilica of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception with my mother today.  Being back at St. Mary’s brought a flood of childhood memories.  I remember playing on the steps of that church before school.  Seeing the altar servers (they’re not “altar boys” any more) reminded me some things never change.  (I know why the altar boys grin.)  More than anything, I saw TQ’s fingerprints on everything.  The men’s choir went all out with songs they never would have done before TQ blew into St. Mary’s.  The spirit of the congregation was powerful, filled with “amen’s” and handclapping.  When I see that, I’m reminded of TQ saying in a phone interview that St. Mary’s had been “de-Blackized and Romanized.”  I saw the Deacon, Calvin Bailey, slip one of the young ushers a shirt and matching tie before the service.  That is the kind of thing TQ would do.  TQ’s spirit burns bright at St. Mary’s.

I said in an earlier post that when I visit my mother, she always pulls out a piece of TQ memorabilia for me.  When he went to Rome, TQ sent my mother a postcard, and I ran across that postcard today.  This is what he wrote from Rome: 

This is the bishop’s chair from which St. Gregory the Great preached his 28th homily in 602!  The whole scene is hysterical!  Tons & tons of art.  Makes you color blind!  Had Papal Audience last Wed.  People from everywhere.  Visited over 200 churches!  Running everywhere!  Lots of African priests & nuns!  Walk everywhere!  Saw St. Catherine’s head and finger in Seneca.  Great professors here.  I am just having too much fun!
-TQ