The Prodigal Altar Boy

Friday, March 23, 2012

Prodigal Altar Boy Blog 23 March 2012 - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly


Prodigal Altar Boy Blog
23 March 2012



The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly


The Bad

Okay, I’d been holding off on writing this one, but I cannot hold back.  (Well, actually I can, but I WONT.)  I read an article in the Baltimore Sun entitled “Fallacy of Obama’s faith persists, poll says.”  

[What precisely is a “fallacy of faith”?]

The automated poll of Mississippi Republicans, reported that 52% of those polled in Mississippi believe President Obama is a Muslim.  But wait, there is good news, in Alabama, only 45% believe his is a Muslim.  The article did not go on to explain the whole “fallacy of faith” bit.  I can only assume some people believe President Obama’s assertion he is a Christian is untrue. What does the leader of the Free World have to do?


Just as the piece is ending, the author throws this curve ball: 
“About 1 in 4 surveyed also said the interracial marriage of Obama’s parents should have been illegal.  A 1967 Supreme Court ruling struck down laws against interracial marriage.  The poll released Monday found that 21 percent of Alabama Republicans said it still should be against the law.  In Mississippi, 29 percent said it should be illegal.”  

What a strange pairing of polls.  While I would hazard that all of those polled would insist "they aren't racist," when responding to the question of whether or not President Obama is a Christian (okay, we know better, but bear with me), you certainly have to say the response to the question on interracial marriage has serious racist undertones (Okay, OVERtones).  The bottom line is everyone sees the racism in the Christianity question, in the birth certificate issue, among other things.

So, while more Mississippi respondents think President Obama is a Muslim, more Alabama respondents objected to his parents’ interracial marriage.  There is a message in there.  For me the message is “more cash for Obama 2012.”  An additional message would be my wife and I probably won’t be traveling to either state.  



Next Up:  The Ugly