The Prodigal Altar Boy

Thursday, December 1, 2011

T-30 Days to Go [On The Home Stretch]



2011 – Last 100 Days
Prodigal Altar Boy Countdown
T-30 Days to Go
1 December 2011


Goal:  1 hour per day working on the film
Details: 
Watched Karen Everett’s Story Doctor Kit video #3, “Musical & Cinematic Solutions”
  • Parallel, Contrary and Oblique music
  • Designing a Sound scape with Sound FX
  • Adding Cinematic Dimension
  • Fixing Interviews 
  • Revealing Character Traits
Total time:  1 Hour

Goal:  30 minutes per day music practice
Details:
MojoCaster warm-up
Pat Metheny – Etude #1 bars 1-4 30X 
“It’s Your Thing” – Isley Brothers
 “Talkin’ Loud and Sayin’ Nothing” – Living Colour version
 “So What”  - Miles Davis
Grace City songs
“I Give Myself Away”
“Forever”
“Lord, You Are Awesome”
“Revelation Song”
Total time:  1 hour

Goal:  15 minutes exercise per day
Viking Warrior Conditioning
36:36 Protocol – 18 Reps per set – 16kg kettlebell
20 sets
Total time:  24:04

Goal:  15 minutes per day working on the score for the movie
Details:
“Dies Irae” – 25X  in groups of five, allowing me to focus on execution
“Dies Irae” – Focus work on octaves and dyad climbs
“Granby Street” – played on the MojoCaster and slowed the tempo waaaaay down (experiment)
A Dorian intervallic riff  - this riff was where the Am –D7 riff came from.  Need to multitrack this with the chords to see if it works.
Am – D7 chord progression, pulling in palm mute A and A octave and D bass. 
R&B riff work from Gospel Skillz DVD
E – B/D# - C#min – A  R&B chordal riff work.  Focus on smooth transitions and tone.
Total Time:  30 minutes

Notes:  Okay, I am down to the last thirty days.  A list of“Lessons Learned” is not only appropriate, but mandatory! (Mandatory, hah) 


Lessons Learned for today:

Goals are just that.  Make the effort and if you hit the goal, fine, if not, learn from the effort.  Most importantly, avoid beating yourself up about not hitting the goal if you made the effort.  If you do not make the effort, your chances of hitting the goal is ZERO. Celebrate effort, any effort. 

Make the effort.  To quote Dan Duchaine, “Explore the limits of slackness.”  Many days, I nearly talked myself out of making an effort in some area, but every time I pushed and made the effort, I was rewarded. 

Return to center.  Know why you are doing what you are doing.  I started and stopped digitizing the footage.  I resumed working on the film after watching one of Karen Everett’s videos on organizing footage clips and bins.  In addition to getting a workng capture strategy, I was able to dig deep into the computer configuration and NLE settings to optimized the capture. Had I pressed on with what was not working, there would have been trouble down the road.

Program in mindless tasks. When I do my guitar warm-ups and some of the R&B riffs like “It’s Your Thing” and “Talkin’ Loud and Sayin’ Nothing,”  I am not putting a lot a mental effort into those tasks.  It is all muscle memory and letting my mind wander.  I am engaged enough to make sure executiuon is on point, but it’s mostly a trick to let my mind wander and settle down for other tasks coming up.  For score work, I am in the moment, working on the pieces, testing variations of tempo, tone and technique to see how they would work in the film.