The Prodigal Altar Boy

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Today is Channel My RAGE Day


2011 – Last 100 Days
Countdown
T-60 Days To Go
1 November 2011

Today is Channel My Rage (in a constructive way) Day.

Who am I mad at? I’m mad at myself for getting mad. 

Last week I sent one of my daily devotionals from “On the Threshold of Transformation:  Daily Meditations for Men” by  Father Richard Rohr OFM to my “Wolf Pack List.”  This is a group of guys I share devotionals with, put out prayer requests and share our struggles to be men.  Many of the devotionals come from the Ransomed Heart website, but when that devotional is focused on the ladies, I will pull from other sources.  The devotional for that day asked, “How am I defined?”  A memorable quote from the piece stated that if you are defined by other people’s responses to you, then”…you’ve laid down a sandy foundation for your life.” When I sent that out last Friday (28 October 2011), there were a few responses to the email, and we all went about our merry way into the weekend. 

Fast-forward to this morning, when I get an email from my supervisor concerning a recent performance evaluation I had contested.  What I read made me furious.  I thought about some not-so-nice (okay “scathing”) replies to him, and went as far as starting a draft, then I thought about the devotional I had sent out last Friday.  It is easy to read these devotionals and respond in agreement when nothing is on the line, but the proof of whether we take them to heart  is how we respond when the thrust of the message hits us right in the face.  Then I got mad at myself.  The author had me pegged, “This is the burden of the modern self:  insubstantial, whimsical, totally codependent, and all the while calling itself “free” and educated.”

BOOYAH!

Guilty as charged.  I don’t’ have anyone to blame but myself.  If I call myself a Christian, then I must (re-)align my attitude and as the author says, “…identify the meaning of our lives within ourselves in terms of our radical relatedness to God.”  He ends the piece with a quote from St. Francis, “We are who we are in the eyes of God, nothing more and nothing less.”    

How my supervisor feels about me is his problem.  I know who I am.  As I said in a previous post, “I got a Daddy!  (Part 2 and Part 3)  I will channel today’s rage into a spirited Viking Warrior Conditioning workout and reap the benefits.

Shouts out to my Wolf Pack.  They came back with words of encrouagement and humor.  Whether it was focusing me on my successes or a friendly jibe to keep me from taking myself so seriously. They came out like, well, a pack of wolves!  Howl, Wolf Pack, HOWL!  Let me hear you, brothers!



Goal:  1 hour per day working on the film
Details: 
Digitized 2011 footage from a June interviews. (one tape)
Watched Karen Everett lesson on three-act structure.
Total time:  1 hour

Goal:  30 minutes per day music practice
Details:
MojoCaster  warm-up
 “It’s Your Thing” – Isley Brothers
“Talkin’ Loud and Sayin’ Nothing” – Living Colour version (Spent some time combining the two riffs.)
Rhythm work on the E – B/D# - C#m – A chord progression. 
R&B chord progression work.  Focused on texture and tone.
Pat Metheny – Exercise #1 bars 1-4 metronome at 60 bpm
Total time:  30 minutes

Goal:  15 minutes exercise per day
36:36 Protocol (36 seconds to complete 18 reps, then 26 seconds rest)
18 reps per set – 16kg Kettlebell
Completed 20 sets of 18
Note:  The last time I did Viking Warrior Conditioning, I only completed 16 sets.  Today (my day of rage) I knocked out 20!  I gues I need to bring a little more rage to the Viking Warrior table!   For those of you keepng score, 20 sets = 360 reps
360 X 16kg = 5760kg which equals 12672 pounds total volume.  Not too shabby!
Total Time:  24:04

Goal:  15 minutes per day working on the score for the movie
Details:
“Granby Street” – lyric swap and bringing in first verse earlier

 Dies Irae” – 20X (whole piece) on the Roland Strat
After 20X of the whole piece, focused on dyads and octaves
D – Dsus rif work
“So What” – Miles Davis
A Dorian intervallic riff
Total Time:  30 minutes